The Most Memorable Halloween Ever!

            Oh what a day! Today was the busiest most memorable Halloween ever. It started off with a race. Faith and Courage ran a 2 mile race called the "Goblin Gallop." It is a Halloween tradition for elementary kids here. Courage's time was 14.45 minutes. He finished in the top 3rd of about 60 4th-6th graders. He came in 6th of all the 4th graders. He did very well considering he was the youngest kid in his race. Faith came in near the back, but she just wanted to run with her friend who is not so athletic. They socialized and Faith gave her friend support.              
Then Casanova was sent to Heaven. I already wrote about that. And, We carved pumkins and set them outside.  But, the squirrels destroyed them in less than 15 minutes.

But, in this post I want to share with you what we did as a family for Halloween night. My kids have been to 3 Halloween parties this year. So, instead of rushing out to get more candy trick-or-treating, I suggested we go trick or treating for UNICEF.
I told them that each year 25,000 children die because they don't have important life sustaining things, like water, medicine, food, shelter, etc. My kids decided they really wanted to do it. So we went down to Pier 1 Imports to pick up our 1st 4 boxes just in case our Trick or Treat for UNICEF package didn't come in time.

I was a little unsure how it would go. I was hoping people would donate for the children, but I didn't know.

Then the night came and out we went toting the UNICEF boxes in less than 50 degree weather.
The kids really got into it! This is what they said as David and I watched from the sidewalk:

"Trick or Treat for UNICEF! We are collecting money for kids to help them get medicine, clean water, food, blankets and other stuff."


Just about every house we visited was impressed and open to donating. And regardless if the kids collected money or not they finished by saying, "Thank you! Happy Halloween!" Although Justice said every time: "Happy Halloween for UNICEF!"


It was awesome. And they even got 2 giant bags full of candy to share. In the end, my kids collected a total of $108.66 from people in our neighborhood. David and I gave them enough money to turn it into an even $150. That is amazing!!! $150 for kids in need!!!


My kids felt so proud. David and I are extremely proud that my kids were willing to give up their candy for others in need. We have decided that this will be a new tradition for our family on every Halloween from here on out.
Now we are sitting down and celebrating my kids’ success by watching a movie and having ice cream sundays. My kids said this was the best Halloween they ever had. I am so proud of them!

3 comments:

Clarisa said...

you are amazing...trully. what a wonderful soul you have to teach your children about other children around the world. fabulous!

said...

What a profound lesson in giving you taught your kids and everyone who gave! Well done!

Stopping by from the SITS Halloween Parade :o)

Unknown said...

It really was more fun for us than anything. And, it turned out the kids (or mom and dad)didn't miss out on any of the candy either! Bonus!
Thanks for stopping by Joy!

Popular Posts

Save the Children - (Hit mute on the Youtube screen to avoid 2 songs)

My Favorite Reads

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog