Ethiopia


Ok. Many of you know we have wanting to adopt for years. But, everytime the process fell through or timing didn't feel just right. Well, we have decided.... David and I know where we will be adopting a child from. We have decided on Ethiopia. Of course, we won't start the process until we move to Minot. But, we can get things in order.
We have chosen Ethiopia for a number of reasons.
First, it would take the least amount of time from the point of turning in the Ethiopian dossier to referral for a child.
Second, David would be able to stay home with the kids and not have to take work off for traveling. Although, I would like him to go to Ethiopia because the sights of children facing no family love, poverty and disease would resonate in his heart and he would become more of an advocate for adoption and helping the children of poverty and disease stricken countries.
Third, We want a baby for our first adoption. We want the child to be the youngest in our family. We feel that will keep the balance of sibling birth order. We will be able to get a baby as young as 4 months old. That is pretty much the youngest baby you'll find available for adoption internationally.
And, fourth, the children are absolutely precious and beautiful! But, aren't they all?
We will be going with Americans for African Adoptions non-profit agency. We have read many great reviews about them. And, they are in this to help the children and not necessarily to turn a profit. That makes us feel better about it all.
So, now we wait............ I wonder what it will be like to go down to Ethiopia. Of course, I will be going to get my baby. Sigh.... I will want to take all the children and be sobbing the whole time because I can't. I just know it.
I saw this youtube video about what it would be like... I bawled through the whole thing.

My heart is heavy and aches for all of these children. They are the same ages as my own. They need Mommies and Daddies to love them.

4 comments:

Lissa said...

Wow! Defnately keep us posted in your progress!

Lissa said...

Ethiopia to Minot, ND. Well, the family situation will be better for the baby, but the location....? The baby will be like, "Yeah, I have a family....wait, where are we? Crap!" Haha

Unknown said...

Very funny Lissa! Don't knock it til you check it out. Minot is cool. Why else would we go there? It has to be cool enough for us, right?!

onehm said...

CONGRATS!!
That sounds like an incredible journey ahead of your little family!

Popular Posts

Save the Children - (Hit mute on the Youtube screen to avoid 2 songs)

My Favorite Reads

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog